Gain an international internship certificate, along with an immersive exposure to the UK built environment sector.
Our collaboration with the Department of the Built Environment, Liverpool John Moores University allows our students to enter Liverpool Summer Internship Program (L-SIP) that gives them an exposure to the built environment sector in UK and their professional practices.
Liverpool John Moores University is one of the largest, most dynamic and forward-thinking universities in the UK, and its Department of the Built Environment is renowned for offering inspiring, accredited, research-informed courses.
This collaboration would facilitate development of admission/articulation agreements and educational programmes; co-operation on academic, administrative and curriculum matters; collaboration on research projects; and exchange of academic and administrative staff and students.
As one of the key initiatives under the collaboration, the Department of the Built Environment, Liverpool John Moores has invited students from RICS SBE, Amity University to join the Liverpool Summer Internship Program in Built Environment. The program, would give students an all-encompassing experience in the broad themes of construction, quantity surveying, real estate and facilities management.
The students would get an exposure to the UK built environment sector, professional practice in the field of construction project management, quantity surveying, real estate, and facilities management. Emerging areas like Building Information Modelling (BIM), drone technology, sensors, PropTech, ConTech, FMTech and more would also be covered.
Program Details for 2018
The former Royal Insurance Building, a Grade II listed building which was erected in 1896 and 1903 is now being converted for use as a hotel, after remaining vacant for many years. Balfour Beatty were appointed as the main contractor to complete the design, refurbishment and conversion of the building into a 116 bedroom hotel, meeting rooms, gym, bar and kitchen facilities on behalf of Ashall Property Ltd for Starwood Hotel Group, Aloft brand. As a part of the main internship project, students would work in teams to develop:
- A program plan listing feasibility study, permissions, site investigations, design and engineering, procurement, execution and closure.
- A project execution plan which details the proposed sequencing and logistics for delivery of the scheme
- A contract sum analysis (CSA) that reflects the case study project Aloft Hotel
- A detailed cost breakdown of Preliminaries (also known as General Conditions) for the project.
- Peel Development
- BRE Innovation Park
- Countryside Properties Housing Development in Gateacre
- Clatterbridge Cancer Center NHS Foundation Trust
- Manchester Airport Transformation Project
- Regeneration of Liverpool’s Lime Street Liverpool One
- Chester Zoo
- Anfield Stadium
- Liverpool Waters (PEEL Development)
- Wirral Waters (PEEL Development)
- Overview of UK Built Environment Sector
- BIM/Drones/Lean/Offsite/Data Analytics
- Property Development and Valuations
- Strategic FM
- CM and QS Emerging Trends
Progress Monitoring & Final Report Submission
Each participant has to maintain his/her daily & weekly progress report via Canvas/Moodle. Students are also required to maintain a portfolio and other internship documents.
The final report submission for the program has to happen via Moodle/Canvas/Turnitin. Possibility of PRINCE 2 certification and BRE BIM certification with additional costs.
Program Schedule for 2018
Report at Liverpool: 6:00 pm | June 3, 2018
Program Start: 9:00 am | June 4, 2018
Program Close: 6:00 pm | June 29, 2018
Induction Week: May 28, 2018 to June 1, 2018 (to be decided by the home institution)
Final Submission: July 20, 2018 (to be decided by the home institution)
Program Fee for 2018
The total program fee, including housing for four weeks is £1300, and if you do not want housing facilities, you would have to pay only £650. The fee would include:
- Academic instruction and materials
- Double occupancy housing with kitchenettes (applicable only for those paying £1300 towards program fee)
- Welcome breakfast/lunch and closing dinner (some additional meals based on program schedule)
- Company site visits, industrial visits and guest speakers
- Campus tour (Sensor City, MTC, Maritime and Formula 1 Simulator, etc.)
- Private group transportation for all program visits
- Certificate and transcript upon completion of program and course assessments