Indian Green Building Council
RICS School of Built Environment, Amity University took up an honorary membership of Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), a CII initiative that aims to build an ecological India to promote the sustainable development in the built environment sector in November 2014. As part of this partnership, an “IGBC Student Chapter” had been established to spread awareness on Green Buildings amongst the student community and to ignite the idea of green in young minds.
Every year we celebrate World Green Buildings Week as part of this association.
This membership has primarily helped to encourage and promote sustainability led initiatives amongst our students.
The Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) was formed in the year 2001. The vision of the council is ‘to enable a sustainable built environment for all and facilitate India to be one of the global leaders in the sustainable built environment by 2025’.
The Council offers a wide array of services which include developing new green building rating programmes, certification services and green building training programmes. The council also organises Green Building Congress, its annual flagship event on green buildings.
An “IGBC Student Chapter” is being established with the following objectives:
- Spread awareness on Green Buildings amongst the student community
- Ignite the idea of green in young minds, thereby facilitating India to become one of the global leaders in embracing green building concepts by 2025
As part of this initiative, IGBC will provide students with literature such as newsletters, technical bulletins and reference guides of IGBC rating systems, for library reference and will also have visiting faculty educate students on related subjects.
The IGBC Student Chapter will benefit from activities such as:
- Training sessions for students
- Presentations and lectures by experts on Green Buildings
- Opportunities to participate in IGBC Events
- Internship opportunities for Students on Green Building
- Green Building Missions
- Design competition
- Participation in Chapter meetings