The Ph.D. in Built Environment is an interdisciplinary program offered in four fields.
Ph.D in Built Environment
The Ph.D. in Built Environment is an interdisciplinary program offered by RICS School of Built Environment, Amity University. The program provides students with a common core of extensive, integrated knowledge focused upon all the facets of the built environment specialization.
The Ph.D. program can be undertaken in the following fields of knowledge and practice:
- Ph.D. in Construction Management/Project Management
- Ph.D. in Urban Management/Infrastructure Management
- Ph.D. in Construction Economics & Quantity Surveying
- Ph.D. in Real Estate Management
Eligibilty & Selection
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Real Estate / Urban Management/ Urban or Regional Planning/ Civil Engineering/ Construction Engineering/ Economics/ Commerce/ Law / Architecture / Mathematics / Sociology or MBA from any accredited Indian or Foreign University with a minimum of 55% marks or grade point average.
See full details, on Amity University
Fee and Duration
Full-time - INR 1.25 Lacs(Per semester)
Part-time - Rs. 1 Lacs (Per semester)
Minimum and Maximum Degree Duration:
Candidate will be given the time duration for submission of his / her Ph.D. thesis (from the date of registration) as per the details given below:
Minimum Time Period
Maximum Time Period
Full Time Scholars
Part Time Scholars
Candidates seeking admission to the Ph.D. program, whether full time or part time, shall have to possess requisite percentage of marks / grade point average / subjects/ specializations in qualifying examination as indicated under each Ph.D. program:
- Applications for admission to a Ph.D. program at Amity University are accepted twice a year, for January and July sessions. A Ph.D. program is offered both on Full Time and Part Time basis. A ‘Full-time Candidate’ shall mean a candidate devoting full time for completing the requirements of the program and a ‘Part-time Candidate’ shall mean a candidate who is devoting only a part of his time towards the pursuit of the program while discharging his official/ employment obligations.
- The admission Form is to be filled and submitted ONLINE ONLY along with required documents uploaded in the given format and an online payment of Rs 1100/- made via a Credit/ Debit card. No hard copies will be accepted.
Refer to the Amity.edu/phd for details on list of essential documents required for applying and guidelines on preliminary research idea.
To check the following related to your admission, logon to your Admission Micro site on www.amity.edu/phd (admission micro site login) by using your form no. & password generated at the time of applying online.
- Check whether your Form has been received or not
- Check the Status of your Form
- Check whether you have been short-listed for the Selection Procedure
- Select the date for appearing in the selection Procedure and download Admit Card.
- Check your selection status.
- Print Admission letter after you have been selected.
- Check confirmation of fee payment after making payment.
- Candidates will be communicated about requirements related to their application form, date, time and venue of selection process (written test and / or Interview) ONLY ON THE ADMISSION MICRO SITE at www.amity.edu or in the Amity Mobile App available at www.amity.edu/app. In certain cases, options of dates will be available giving greater flexibility. It is the responsibility of the candidate to periodically check the admission microsite for updates and to select a date for PET. No separate communication will be sent in this regard.
- Eligible candidates will be required to undertake PET (Ph.D. Entrance Test), on the date selected by them. PET will be a computer based test (CBT) followed by an Interview, on the same day
- Selected candidates will get intimation of their selection through an Online Admission Letter which can be printed from the Admission Micro site. Details regarding payment of fees at the time of admission, date, time and venue for commencement of the academic session will be mentioned in the admission letter.
- Offer of admission will be provisional & valid only for the specific program opted by the candidate as well as for the same academic session. The offer of admission will automatically stand cancelled if the conditions are not fulfilled by the specified time.
Note 1. It is mandatory for foreign nationals/ NRI to submit AIU certificate along with other documents at the time of applying. Click here for more information.
Note 2. It is mandatory for working applicants to submit an NOC at the time of registration cum orientation for the program, i.e within a month of their selection. Click here for format.
Entrance Test Details
The Entrance Test shall be of one and half hour duration (i.e. 90 minutes) and of 70 marks consisting of 95 objective type of questions. The Entrance Test will have two Sections (administered in one go), as mentioned here under:
SECTION 1 – GENERAL
50 Questions of Master’s level of 0.5 marks each
Section 1 shall be common to all the Applicants for testing the General Knowledge & Research Aptitude,
covering questions from following area:
Data Analysis and Interpretation
SECTION 2 – Program Specific
45 Questions of Master’s level of 1 mark each
Section 2 shall be Program / Subject Specific as per proposed Ph.D. program of the applicant. (viz Management, Biotechnology, Food Technology, Physics, Law, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Microbiology, Psychology, English etc) This section shall be divided into two parts – 25 questions shall be from the PhD Program subject & 20 questions from the PhD Program subject / allied subject.
SECTION 3 – Interview
INTERVIEW BY FACULTY RESEARCH COMMITTEE (FRC)
Date of Registration
The date of registration of the candidate shall be the date of payment of fees. The registration period will end on the date of submission of Ph.D thesis.
The minimum Residency Period for full time as well as part time candidates in the Department / Constituent Unit shall ordinarily be one year. This period, in exceptional circumstances, can be reduced to not less than six months by URC (University Research Committee) on the recommendations of DRC (Doctoral Research Committee). Residency period does not imply that the scholar stays in the university campus. It only means that he/she resides in the proximity of the campus to enable her/him to attend coursework classes on regular basis on assigned days, since an attendance of 75% is mandatory to be able to take a comprehensive examination at the end of coursework.
Minimum 75% attendance is required during residency period.
All candidates admitted to Ph. D. programs have to compulsorily do the course work assigned and shall be required to take a written examination for the same. Coursework period will ordinarily be of minimum six months duration. A candidate will earn credits for a Course Unit only if he obtains a minimum of Grade B+ (Points 07 on scale of 10). If a candidate fails to get qualifying Grade B+, he / she will be given second opportunity to improve his/her qualifying Grade to B+, i.e. Point 7 on ten point scale failing which his/her registration is liable to be cancelled.
Scholars shall be required to undertake coursework for a minimum period of one semester, not exceeding one academic year from the date of the provisional registration
Tentative class timings during coursework period:
Ph.D. Full time : All working days, 9.00 am-5.30 pm
Ph.D. Part time : Saturday-Sunday, 9.00 am-5.30 pm
Each candidate, on completion of course work, shall be required to take a comprehensive examination which will test his/her comprehension or knowledge in his/her broad field of research and his/her academic preparation and potentials to carry out the research work. The comprehensive examination shall be combination of both written and oral examinations and shall be conducted by the faculty. The candidate is required to secure at least Grade B (Points 06 on scale of 10) in comprehensive examination.
Minimum and Maximum Degree Duration
Candidate will be given the time duration for submission of his / her Ph.D. thesis (from the date of registration) as per the details given above.
Each applicant seeking admission to the Ph.D programs of RICS School of Built Environment, Amity University is required to submit a 1,000 word typed research plan (excluding references) in PDF format. The file should be named as per the following convention - FirstName_LastName_RP.pdf. The research plan should have the following information (suggested word limit is provided alongside):
- Title of the proposed research (10 to 15 words) and name of the candidate
- Introduction and background (100 words)
- Problem statement/need statement (100 words)
- Literature review (200 words)
- Research goal and objectives (100 words)
- Research methodology (300 words)
- Research Tasks and Timeline (100 words)
- Potential research contributions (100 words)
- References (no word limit)
Kindly use a 2.54 centimeter margin on all sides of an A4 sheet with portrait orientation. The font style to be used is ‘Calibri’ where the font size is 11. Also note, text is to be double spaced with proper section headings. Referencing style to be used is Harvard citation style - see for example.
Classification of Candidates
An Indian candidate applying for admission to the Ph.D. Program shall be classified under any one of the following categories:
- Sponsored Candidates: Sponsored candidates getting Government / Semi Govt. / Private or other Scholarships/ Fellowships /stipends, who apply for admission through the sponsoring organizations.
- Regular Self - Financed Candidates: students, self- employed or other working / non-working candidates
- Corporate Research Scholar: Candidates working with reputed organizations in India and having at least five years’ experience and possessing minimum prescribed academic qualifications.
- Working Faculty other than Amity: Faculty members of other Universities /schools and recognized/ approved institutions/schools in India, possessing minimum prescribed academic qualifications.
- Regular Academic Staff of Amity: Regular academic staff of Department/ Constituent Units of Amity University who are allowed to register for Ph.D. on part time basis.
- Regular Non-Academic Staff of Amity: Regular member of non-academic staff of the University and its Departments/ Constituent Units who satisfies eligibility qualifications and is allowed to be registered for a part-time Ph.D. program.
- Scholars who are awarded National Fellowships through National Competitive Examinations.
- A foreign national will apply under the foreign candidate category.